Claudia Beamish MSP (Labour) introduced a members’ business debate on motion S5M-16637, “Towards an independent Palestinian state: a Scottish proposal” calling for action leading to an independent Palestinian state and acknowledging Britain’s historical responsibilities in what was to become Israel and Palestine. Claudia argued that British engagement is needed now to help secure a better future for both peoples. Scotland could act as the conscience of the UK, working for true equality through policies based on universal values and those international laws which Britain drafted, signed and ratified after World War II. She highlighted the work of the Balfour Project in raising British public awareness of the history of Britain’s involvement in shaping the Middle East. She commended the six measures in the Balfour Project Call to Action:
- an end to the closure of Gaza, imprisoning 2 million people
- freedom of worship for all – Jews, Christians and Muslims – in Jerusalem
- respect for the rule of law. Israeli settlements are illegal.
- accountability: consequences for criminal acts, whoever commits them
- British Government recognition of Palestine now alongside Israel and
- commitment to defend the rights of both peoples, including the right to free and legitimate movement of goods and people between Gaza and the West Bank.
Source: Balfour Project – read more here